Saturday, December 27, 2008

A New World Community

Posted by Bill Frase - In the previous post I hinted at some of the effects of the incarnation of God’s Power of Divine Love in human beings. In this post I will attempt to go into some more detail on this subject.

In college, I decided to major in Theatre Arts and Sociology. These two subject areas allowed me to look more closely at one of the central questions of my life, “Why do people do what they do?” I eventually realized that there was another question that was even more important to me, “How can human behavior be improved?”

By understanding why people act as they do, the possibilities for changing human behavior become clearer. There are many people today who justify evil motives and bad behavior (their own and others’) by claiming that there are no effective ways to change them. I have never been of that opinion, and I have seen no convincing evidence that brutish behavior is a naturally occurring phenomenon in human beings. The phrase “human nature” is often given as an “explanation” for bad behavior. “Human nature” is often used to ignore one of the most important aspects of being human, our freedom to choose.

My interest in the questions of human behavior arose from my experiences of behaving badly and seeing others abuse and neglect themselves and others as well. Social stratification (social hierarchies of status and access to resources), social conflict, and most social control structures seemed damaging and unnecessary to me. Despite the existence of these human creations, I was interested in how we human beings could create positive and lasting social change.

As long as I can remember, I have indulged in social change fantasies. When I was younger, they were smaller in scale - just small groups of people treating each other with more love and respect. As I grew older, I imagined people spontaneously transforming organizations dedicated to death into places dedicated to life. I imagined people forming utopian communities of peace, equality, and justice. I imagined global economic transformation by organized collective action. I imagined bureaucracies transformed by people wanting to help more than they wanted to follow rules and procedures. I imagined wars ending because people would simply refuse to fight each other with deadly force.

To make a really long story a little shorter, I eventually came to realize that there was one way that significant, positive, permanent changes in human behavior could be made. If you have read other posts on this blog, you know that I call the Power by which this can be accomplished God’s Divine Love. In other words, the most effective means known to change human behavior for the better involves the reception of the Power of God’s Love into the “spiritual self” of a human being.

I have been receiving the power of God’s Divine Love for over ten years now. I can tell you that the reception of God’s Power changes one’s intentions, feelings, thoughts, and actions. It is a process that takes time and effort, but the rewards are significant. It is a journey I feel I have only just only started myself. The main point of this blog is to encourage you to either begin or continue your own transformational journey in this Power.

My experience of God’s Love has only increased my desire to see the world transformed for the better. Because of God’s Love I have become even more passionate in sharing the good news that God’s Power of Love is available for personal and social transformation for everyone. If I thought there was a better way to accomplish this transformation (both personal and social), I would share it with you, but I have not discovered a more effective path in all my years of searching.

Thankfully, the transformation of human beings through the acquisition of Spiritual Power can only be accomplished through people freely choosing to receive it. Many people have the opinion that belonging to certain categories or classifications gives them special access to spiritual realities. This is a damaging lie. People cannot receive God’s Power simply through belonging to a group. There is no race, class, occupational group, sexual orientation, gender, political affiliation, ethnicity, religion, health status, intellectual ability, nor any other kind of status that increases a person’s access to the Power of God’s Love. The only thing that matters is how much a person wants it and how frequently he or she wants it.

The most effective way for us to experience a world of peace, justice, wholesome creativity, and cooperation is to seek personal spiritual transformation. My task is to do this and to do everything I can to help other people seek the Power of God’s Divine Love for themselves as well. And while it may seem to many an insignificant thing, the transmutation of a natural corruptible being into an incorruptible divine being is an incredible miracle.

Most people today think that alchemy is ridiculous. They think that it was a silly precursor to the wonders and horrors of modern chemistry. They are only partially correct. Alchemy is a metaphor for spiritual transumation of the kind descirbed in this post. The process of transmutation is at the heart of alchemy. Transmutation in alchemy is the idea that one can turn a corrodible metal like lead into a precious metal like gold if one discovers the secret formula. While I do not know whether lead can be changed to gold by an alchemist, I do know that the spiritual self of a person can be changed from a corruptible natural creature into an incorruptible divine being through strong desire for the Creator’s Power of Divine Love. To many of you, this statement may be as improbable as changing lead into gold, but I assure you that there are people who have accomplished this transmutation with greater and lesser degrees of success for millennia. I will have more to say about the spiritual realities behind the efforts of the alchemists to discover the philosopher’s stone, the panacea, and the universal solvent. All of these desiderata were right in front of the alchemists’ faces, but they missed them because were more interested in earthly gold than spiritual riches.

I invite you to join me in the quest for that which is most precious - to seek that which not only changes us from within but that which inevitably changes the world one person at a time. As more of us participate in the unlimited realities of Divine Power, we will become ever-more empowered to change a world that is distressed, diseased, and despondent. We will do it by accepting the Gift God longs to give us. We will do it by being who we really are. We will do it by living according to the Power we have received. We will do it as one for the Source of Power is One.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and very well written. I liked when you said the only thing that matters is how much a person wants it.

    I hope we all can move towards this new world community.

    ReplyDelete