Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hope

Posted by Bill Frase - Lately, it feels as if there is a lot more fear in the world than hope. Honestly, I have been feeling much more hopelessness than hope over the past week or so. I think part of my challenge has been the general feelings of fear, anger, and despondency swirling about the planet these days. I’m open to the possibility that it’s just me.

If you happen not to be affected by the incredible negativity currently swirling about the planet (or in your own life), congratulations! You still might find this post interesting. And even though your life may be a pleasant dream right now, most of us come to points in our lives where we doubt whether we will get what we need. You may want to come back if (when?) you’re feeling hopeless at some time in the future.

For about a week now, I have been wondering what is the point of it all. Yes, I do know that there is a point to it all, but when you feel hopeless, everything still seems pointless. I’ve known for a few days that I’ve been in desperate need of some hope. I prayed last night that God would help me come out of this funk somehow.

Right before I woke up this morning, I had a dream. I’ll spare you all of the corny details. The dream basically shaped up like this. I had a situation in front of me that I had to deal with as part of a team. Going into the situation, I was certain that defeat/failure was guaranteed. Using our current plan, there was absolutely no chance for success. I wasn’t happy about going through the motions, knowing that failure was guaranteed, but I had resigned myself to defeat. Right before we had to do what we had agreed to do, I got an idea to do something different, something that had not occurred to me before. I shared the idea with one of my teammates, and he thought it was worth a shot. To shorten the story, our team emerged victorious from a situation where all of the odds were stacked against us and no one had any hope or expectation of success.

It is hard to describe the effect this dream had on me. Basically it took me from feeling that I was laboring in vain in an important area of my life to thinking that we will receive what we need for victory to be achieved, probably just in the nick of time. During the course of the morning I even started remembering how I had received creative ideas to solve problems and challenges throughout my life. I remembered that I have never been left without what I needed when the time for action arrived. I even encountered an extremely difficult situation today that would normally make be feel terrible, and I’m actually still hopeful that it will turn out well in the end.

And so I would like you to consider my dream your dream if you like. If there is any circumstance that leads you to feel desperate, despondent, or depressed, please do your best to be open to the possibility that help is available when you need it the most. People say that it is always darkest before the dawn, which in my total experience of planetary rotations has not yet been true. But I think the saying does express a truth about our experiences as human beings - that we usually don’t ask for help unless things are pretty bad. And when we want help enough to be open to crazy ideas, unconsidered possibilities, and maybe even love and support from people we don’t even know, amazing things can happen.

No matter how bad things may appear, please remain as open as you can to the help that can turn despair into hope. And as we allow ourselves to hope, all kinds of wonderful things we couldn’t see in the middle of the night become obvious. Ultimately, as long as our hearts remain open to Love, victory is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment