Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Bare Necessities

Due to another conspiracy of circumstances, it appears that I’m in the middle of getting another huge life lesson. This one seems particularly appropriate, given that we are in the “Thanksgiving Season.” I will share a little bit of what’s been emerging out of my self-perpetuated fog.

We all have so much to be thankful for. I know this seems really presumptuous for me to say, given the apparent realities of the moment. And yet I will persist in exploring this idea.

What is essential to human life? Air would be number one on my list. Most people would die without it in a few minutes. If you can find a way to live in your body without air for much longer than that, let me know. I’ll probably ask you to be my guru.

Number two in importance is water. We can last a bit longer without it than air, and yet most of us would die without it in a matter of days at most.

Number three is food. Again, we can live longer without food than the first two substances, and yet, most of us will die without getting any food for a sustained period of time.

I experience all three of these wonderful blessings in great abundance on a consistent basis, and yet lately, I have to admit that I have not been a particularly happy camper here on earth. I’ve been focusing on how things haven’t been going the way I’d like, on how things haven’t been lining up with my hopes or expectations. I have been choosing to see how circumstances have not been conforming to my preferences in terms of sequencing and timing.

I am alive! In other words, what have I got to complain about? Really? Not in relation to other people, but just given the facts that right now I have an abundance of air, water, and food. In the part of the world that I live in, I even find myself with more than adequate shelter to protect me from the elements. I even have a computer that is connected to millions of others all over the globe, where I can share my thoughts with anyone who cares to pay attention! Wow! On top of all of these blessings, I have people who actually love me and who allow me to love them to the best of my ability as well. Amazing! This brief list leaves out 99.999% of all of the blessings I can perceive and ones that I am not even aware of yet. If I weren’t so grateful right now, I’d probably be thinking of what an ungrateful jerk I’ve been lately!

One idea that I would like to propose is the possibility that everything above and beyond the big three (air, food and water) is pure, scintillating abundance. Everything. None of the other stuff is necessary. It is all wonderful extra stuff. We could find ways to live without it and still be happy and be ourselves. I’m thinking it’s possible. Feel free to disagree.

I had a lady tell me today that the only purpose for working is to make money. Right now I’m thinking that that’s a pretty interesting perspective, given the fact that I have absolutely no interest in breathing, drinking, or eating money. Most people who breathe the air aren’t aware of putting out money for it. Some people drink water without paying money to enjoy it. There are even people on this planet who are eating without any kind of monetary exchange involved in the process. If there is even a chance that all of this is true, then most (if not all) of the things that we desire, resist, dislike, fear, whatever, are simply forms of abundance that we can choose to accept into our lives or that we can release, since they are not necessary to our most basic survival needs. We can still desire them and enjoy them. I’m proposing the possibility of releasing our attachments that make us think that our peace and happiness are dependent upon their existence.

Every moment, whether we are aware of it or not, we have the power to choose differently. We have the power to be generous with ourselves and with others. We have the power, particularly at this time of the year, to be grateful for every single thing in our lives, the essentials and the extras, the great stuff and the less than great, and even the terrible stuff. Even with the terrible stuff, we are still alive and have the opportunity to move through the terrible to whatever is on the other side of it. It’s all good and of value. It all can serve a purpose if we let it. What would happen if we really believed that? Might we actually get to the other side of terrible more quickly and more joyfully if we saw it as a blessed gift instead of a dreaded curse?

I’m going to risk moving off point here with another thought. Isn’t it interesting how, in our desire to create all kind of wonderful extra non-essentials, we are in the process of destroying the ability of those very essentials to maintain and enhance our biological beings?

In the process of creating many of our extras, we are polluting the air with materials that are changing the way that the atmosphere works. In addition, we are saturating this basic and abundant blessing of air with toxic chemicals that are making so many of us unwell. In many cases the air is poisoning people and killing them and they have no idea that it is even happening.

We are doing the same thing with our water-turning the bounty of the fruit of the seas, rivers, and lakes into foods that are highly toxic. At the same time, we do many things to pollute our fresh water systems, turning this necessary resource into something harmful as well.

And then we grow and harvest all kinds of plant and animal foods, and in so many cases, we allow our greed to overshadow the truth that the earth doesn’t belong to any of us. How soon will we realize that good food does not come from factories? Good food comes from people who love life and who love the earth. Many of the world’s “food producers” today are not acting as responsible stewards of the resources entrusted to them. The price to life is already way too high. The notes have been maturing with interest for a long time. We’re going to have to dig deep into the pockets of our souls to balance our accounts with the earth we have borrowed so heavily against.

In all of these situations, many of us are acting as if we can do whatever we want without regard to the effects of our choices. The laws of cause and effect that govern the cosmos continue to be in effect. Even if we are not very aware of the operations of these laws right now, we all will become thoroughly consciousness of their perfect workings with perfect timing sooner than we might think.

And yet despite this meditation on the basics of human life and our choices regarding the stewardship of the sources of those basics, we have teachings from the scriptures of the faiths descending from Abraham stating “that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.” (Deuteronomy 8:3)

As I have written before, there is Spiritual Power available to each and every one of us. It waits patiently for us to desire it that it might enter us and change us. It is an instantaneous responder to our desires. It is the highest frequency of energy known to humanity. It comes from the Divine Source of all Being. The New Testament of the Bible has this wonderfully succinct teaching on how we can experience it for ourselves:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7)

As we ask and receive, we experience the strength and power that comes from the very Source of Goodness. We are changed, and as we are changed, so everything changes. The world is as it is because of how we are right now. When we allow ourselves to be changed, nothing will stay the same. Change is a sign of life. The world is our mirror and it reveals the truth to us according to the development of our consciousness.

I am thankful for each of you who have found this message. May it encourage you to seek and find the deepest desires of your heart. Every challenge we face as individuals and as members of the cosmos, can become the opportunity to receive the finest and most powerful energies available. And in receiving those blessings, we are ever-more empowered to assist in the birthing of a new humanity (starting with ourselves) and a whole new earth.

My blessings go out to you. May we all play our parts well as the cosmic drama continues to unfold within and without.

Posted by Bill Frase

No comments:

Post a Comment